Tuesday, September 12, 2006

A New Diet by Jeremy S.

Because I cannot survive only on Milk, Cookies and Bananas

So we’ve been here for a little while now and I am a little tired of my milk-cookie-banana diet. Since there is no turning back apparently, I have decided to change my diet and stick to (sticky?!) rice. I have also noticed that they don’t eat with a fork, knife or spoon here….In fact they have those 2 wooden sticks that they put together and eat with them. I am going to give it a try...as they say “when in Rome do as the Romans,” well except here we are in Beijing so we must do as the Chinese… but you get the point.

Here are some photos of myself mastering the art of kuizi (筷子)...
not bad!!!



























But I have to say that eating rice a grain at a time is not a big improvement from my former diet. How do you say in Chinese: “Please bring me a fork and knife?”*

It might be easier just to travel with a plastic fork and spoon from IKEA that slips easily into my stroller bag!


Yours sincerely,
Jeremy Q. Suiter (Beijing, China)


* 请给我拿个刀叉 (Qǐng gĕi wŏ ná g dāochā)