Thursday, January 11, 2007

If The Popular Saying Is True...

...I Guess I Am a Man Now

As everyone knows the common saying goes不到长城非好汉的意思就是说 (pronounced Bu Dao Chang Cheng Fei Hao Han De Yi Si Jiu Shi Shuo) which roughly translates to: “Only if you have climbed the Great Wall are you truly a man.”

So it’s one of the coldest days so far in Beijing (-8.5°C/15°F with the wind factor it feels like -15°C/ 5°F) and I’m going to see for the first time the Great Wall of China. My friend mentioned that she was going to the 长城 (Chang Cheng) as it is known here since she had some visitors in town and she asked if I wanted to tag along. Being in Beijing for almost 5 months now and not having seen it yet I jumped on the occasion to go see a section of the wall (the touristy part!!)


I will tell you that there weren’t a lot of people on the wall (the temperature might have been a factor?!!) but anyway you are never alone when you are in China so when I say not a lot of people I mean to Chinese standards of course. Here are a few pictures of the Great Wall, the best I could take with my ski gloves on and /or frozen fingers.

I will tell you a bit more about the famous wall after the next family visit

Great Wall, Here I Come
First You Have To Climb It
So Worth It
It Was REALLY Cold