Sunday, January 28, 2007

"How Are You?"...

...or is it "How Old Are You?"

This weekend we were a little lazy so we decided not to put our tourist hats on and instead went to FunDazzle (indoor playground) since we had promised the kids we would take them one day. So while Chloe and Jeremy were doing this:

Fun, Fun, Fun

This little girl came to sit right next to me and watched me for a while. I could see from the corner of my eye that she was mumbling something when she finally got the courage to ask me what she had been silently practicing:
Girl
: How are you?
Me: I’m fine, thank you. How are you?
Girl: I’m 6
Me: euh??.... How old are you?
Girl: I’m fine thank you.


"How old are you?" or is it "How are you?"

Well if you think about it, these two questions do sound the same to a foreign ear. So from now on I’m not going to complain anymore about Chinese sounding always the same.

But I have to say that I was really impressed by the effort she made to come up to me and practice her English on me; I wish I could have struck-up somewhat of a conversation with her…