Monday, June 1, 2009

Children's...

...Day

Today some kindergarten schools were closed in China due to Children's Day, but my kids’ school didn’t close. (well they already had a 4-day weekend courtesy of Dragon Boat festival!)

Jeremy came back from school and told me I should have gone to school today. Being afraid I missed a sports day, swimming gala, music concert, assembly or open day (all happened within the last month) I rush to my computer to check my Google calendar. Either I had forgotten to write why I was supposed to go to school today or Jeremy was mistaken. When I asked him what I missed he just said: Well today it’s Children’s day so you should have gone to school and I should have stayed home.

Wonder if he would have managed to do more than me from my 100+ items on my to-do list!!!



A little background (like always!):
The International Children's Day had its origin in Turkey in 1920 (April 23, 1920) and later in the World Conference for the Well-being of Children in Geneva, Switzerland in 1925. It is not clear as to why June 1 was chosen as the International Children's Day: one theory has it that the Chinese consul-general in San Francisco (USA) gathered a number of Chinese orphans to celebrate the Dragon Boat Festival in 1925, which happened to be on June 1 that year, and also coincided with the conference in Geneva. (Wikipedia)