Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Chandeleur...

...Or Crepes Day

After talking about the Galette des Rois a month ago, today is the “Chandeleur” or Crepes Day.

A little Wikipedia to explain all of this… while I’m tossing crepes with my left hand and holding a gold coin in my right hand!

In France, crêpes were traditionally served on Candlemas (La Chandeleur), February 2. This day was originally Virgin Mary's Blessing Day but became known as avec Crêpe Day, referring to the tradition of offering crêpes. It is believed that if you could catch the crêpe with a frying pan after tossing it in the air with your left hand and holding a gold coin in your right hand, you would become rich that year.
I also learned that the crepes should only be eaten after eight pm… Oups, I’ll know not to blame it on the economy if we don’t get rich this year!
Miam, miam


Being a French AND American family we try to celebrate traditions from both side of the Atlantic. Today is also Groundhog Day, so let me give you a little Wikipedia background on this tradition too. Sorry reader from the US, you probably already know about this… just re read my very own Groundhog Day experience in China, here!
Groundhog Day is an annual holiday celebrated on February 2 in the United States and Canada on which folklore tells if a groundhog emerges from its burrow and fails to see its shadow because the weather is cloudy, winter will soon end. If on the other hand, it is sunny and the groundhog sees its shadow, the groundhog will supposedly retreat into its burrow, and winter will continue for six more weeks.

Why but why did you see your shadow, Phil?

I’ll have to say that on this day, French traditions are much easier (if a little fattier, but who cares) to follow…. I looked high and low for a groundhog but couldn’t find a single one in Beijing.


UPDATE: Punxsutawney Phil’s saw his shadow… I guess there will be six more weeks of winter in the States but what about us here in China!!